Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Year, New Post

A few days past the start of the new year, but I think that's all right. After all, I haven't set myself any resolutions. I do have plans and goals and desires. But no resolutions. Why? Because resolutions are generally so targeted, so specific, that they're too easy to fall away from. And then if you stray just a little bit (oh no, I was going to write every weekday, and I missed one!), it's way too easy to just give up, set the resolution aside to start again "tomorrow" or "later," "next week" or "next month" or "next year," and fall back into the old patterns you were trying to step out of.

Instead of a resolution, or multiple resolutions, I'm doing something different. I've been seeing an intriguing idea around the internet--people are picking a word as their guide word for the year. One of my friends chose "move" for this year. I like this idea quite a lot, but I was still feeling a little restricted by having to choose just one word. I didn't feel that I could fit all the things I want to focus on under the umbrella of one word, so I chose three.

My words for 2010:

Create

Thrive

Explore

Yeah, I think that should about cover it. All of it.

Create--my new business, stories, art journal pages, embroidery pieces, anything else I feel compelled to make during the year all fits under this. Creating a new way of life can fit here, too.

Thrive--get healthy, exercise, eat well, organize my house, clean the house, make a living space I feel happy in.

Explore--new places, spirituality, new ideas, new books.

That's what I'm looking for in my new year. I'm helping myself keep my focus by creating Vision Cards as discussed by Jamie Ridler. I'm working on them now; when I'm finished, I'll post some pictures. Meanwhile, what are you planning to bring into your life this year?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails