Sunday, November 29, 2009

I'm a Winner, Baby!

This afternoon, I reached 50,000 words on my NaNoWriMo novel and became a winner! Hurray!

Now for the part where I have stumbled in the past--finishing the novel. I'm not sure exactly how many more words I'll need to finish it. I'm going to make a guess and say 70,000 words. So 35,000 words in December and another 35K in January, and I think that should finish it out. If I do what I've been doing and write about 2,000 words each weekday, with weekends off, I'll easily hit that goal even with a few weekdays off here and there.

We'll talk about revisions after I type "the end" for the first time on a novel. This time, I'm going to do it!

2 comments:

Phiala said...

Hooray! Go you!

My problem in past years has been rushing really hard to get 50k, then quitting on December 1 in exhaustion and not ever picking the story back up.

This year I wrote every day in November, except for some pre-arranged impossibilities, and while I only have 13k I'm not sick of it, and I have momentum that I can keep going through the next few months. Then I'll be ready for revisions too!

Kim Switzer said...

13K and not being sick of it is way better than 50K and never wanting to see it again! In the past, I've always given myself a break from the writing in December to do holiday stuff, etc., and then even though I intend to get back to it in January, the momentum is lost. This time, I've worked out a schedule that should be easy to stick with even through the holidays so I don't lose my "story immersion" and lose track of where I want to go. Fingers crossed that I'm onto something this time! :)

Some friends and I used Facebook to post our goals and word counts during NaNo, and we're going to keep doing that after November, so I think that might help, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails