Friday, May 07, 2010

Tough Questions

"What do I want my life to look like?" is a much harder question to answer than I think it should be.  Right now, I'm just thinking about & listing what I want in it.

I'm including this image because it reminds me of being joyful in my writing, and I really like it a lot.

  • Writing--regular, deep writing practice and also regular story writing; I need both.
  • Creating--This needs to happen regularly, but I don't think I need specific amounts of time on each kind of art I do.  I just need to incorporate *something* a few times a week besides what I do for my MuseCraft art experiments.  So, art journaling, collage, embroidery, painting, knitting, SoulCollage, any of that.
  • Photography--This gets its own listing because I want to get out, go wandering, take pictures.  This is a "thing" of its own even though it fits in with creating.

There are other things that are important to me and that need to be taken care of regularly. I'm just not sure how to break them down and how to fit them in/how often to fit them in.  In no particular order (and this is getting into my List of 100 territory, but that's okay):

  • I want my body to be strong and flexible and healthy and pain-free so I can do all the things I want to do. And yeah, so I can look good and feel attractive.
  • I want to have a regular spiritual practice.
  • I want to have a clean house.
  • I want to sit and read fiction/fun books frequently, the way I used to.
  • I want to travel, explore, go to the beach more, go see waterfalls, go on picnics, go driving in the country.
And I want to know how to make this all meld together into a comfortable, cozy, creative, enjoyable whole.

On the writing front, I want to start a regular writing practice again for freewriting.  I also want to have regular times to work on stories.  On the story front,  I want to go back to the beginning of my Holly Lisle How to Think Sideways course and condense the ideas into something I can work through to actually start *and* finish a novel.  This is my starting point right now.  The other stuff, I'll write more about tomorrow because I'm out of time today.

3 comments:

Phiala said...

My big challenge too: how to fit in the bits that are crucial to my health (mental and physical) and happiness. Did you see the Create, Connect, Consume article I posted earlier this week?

Kim Switzer said...

No, I didn't see it! Thanks for the link. I was too entranced with the black tulips, I guess. :)

Phiala said...

It was on the other blog, where I talk about writing and politics and science, and post flash fiction now and then. Not the string and tulip pictures blog. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails