Thursday, May 21, 2009

So, about that novel

I thought I'd put this into a separate post. While it is part of my productive obsession, the novel update deserves a post of its own.

I am slowly but surely making my way through the planning portions of the Think Sideways course. I have character profiles for my protagonist and antagonist. The love interest is nearly finished. And then I get to start working on conflicts! I'm pretty excited about the conflicts. That's where all the good stuff happens.

Yesterday, I "cheated" and jumped ahead in the modules for the lesson I'm on and read the part about math. Specifically about figuring out how long it will take to write and revise your novel. I'm planning nine months from when I actually get started on the writing. Which I think I will get to start on after I finish this lesson. So, sometime next week I think. Holly Lisle says she aims for 1500 words (7 pages) a day. I can do that! Stephen King aims for ten pages. I can do that! I can, but I think if I try to maintain that pace right now, I will crash and burn. I'm going to be sensible and aim for 1000 words a day. And weekends off at least some of the time (probably most of the time). So, nine months. That would mean that at the end of February, I will be sending out queries. Eek! I can do that!

Remembering my new mantra: Forge ahead, merrily onward!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails