Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Hodgepodge

Great news! The Eric Maisel creativity project I am participating in as a blog correspondent launched this week. You can see it here: http://www.ericmaisel.blogspot.com. If you want to see my first post, you can find it here: http://ericmaisel.blogspot.com/2008/07/muse-quest-pdx.html.

I started it out with one of my favorite quotes from Charles Kingsley: “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” I keep circling back to this quote. It pokes at me, trying to tell me something, but I’m not completely sure of the full message yet. I definitely have enthusiasms. I often think I have too many. I think the quote is my reminder that I have to nurture my enthusiasms, but I also have to figure out which ones are real passions and which ones are passing fancies.

Writing is a real passion for me. Even when I am not writing as regularly as I would like, I am always thinking about writing, thinking about my stories, studying writing books, reading what other authors have to say about writing. That one’s a definite and will always be on the list of things that deserve my attention.

What else? This is the hard part! Embroidery/fiber arts. I think I’ve been doing it long enough and find it fascinating enough that it falls into the “keeper” category. I really do love the fabrics and threads and colors and textures.

Reading. I nearly forgot this one because in a sense, for me, it’s part of writing. But I couldn’t live without books. Why would I even want to?!

Is there room for anything else? That’s the part I have to think about. I have other hobbies that take up my time, and I really enjoy them, but I don’t know that I can call them passions. I can definitely get enthused by them, just not on a continual basis. So do those things deserve my time and attention? And how do I make sure I’m not giving them too much?

This balance question is probably the biggest issue modern people contend with. I don’t have answers. I am getting close to my own answers, I think. How does everyone else decide what gets time and attention? How do you find that balance? And can someone else’s formula work for other people?

Hoping to hear some answers…

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails