Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Reinventing Myself

I am a writer. It's true. But if I’m a writer, why is this blog so sparse and spotty? Neglect. Procrastination. Not acknowledging that this is writing, too. But it is. This is important. It feeds my need to string words together. It keeps the pump primed so words can flow just as surely as freewriting or journaling or doing writing exercises or working on a story.

I’m mentioning this because right now I’m doing a lot of reinventing in my life. I am reinventing how I approach writing. I am reinventing what sorts of writing “count” toward being a writer. I am reinventing myself as writing teacher, website owner, blogger, author, creative encourager, observer, creative person. I am actively reaching out, manipulating my world, creating the life I want to be in the middle of.

It is exhilarating. Exciting and scary and uncertain, a lot like being at the highest point on a roller coaster, but without the assurance that you’re on a track that will take you through the thrills and land you where you want to be. But this is all right.

Uncertainty is part of life for everyone; there are no sure bets. I will have no less uncertainty in my life if I stick with a dull day job I don’t like and never spread my wings. The uncertainty would just not be quite so tied in with the deeper parts of me. But where’s the thrill in that?

This next bit feels a little silly, especially because, at least for right now, I am mostly talking to myself here. But I’m going to write it anyway.

I hereby rededicate this blog and myself. I promise myself that I will write—here, in my journal, on my computer, everywhere. I will accept and nourish and cherish myself as a writer.

What will I write here? Probably a lot about word counts, maybe lack of word count in the beginning as I settle into my new schedules and routines. Lots about books I’ve read, articles I’m looking at, things I’m thinking about writing, courses I’m thinking of taking or teaching. And in November, I'll write about NaNoWriMo.

I will write about my journey, even when I don’t seem to be moving forward. I will write on Tuesdays and Thursdays and sometimes other random times. I will write here and everywhere, and I will make it an adventure. I hope some of you will join me on the trip.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails